Saturday, October 2, 2010

Recipe Roundup

This is week two of the weekly Recipe Roundup, where I post the online recipes I've used over the past week.

  • Brown Sugar - Brown sugar is made by adding molasses to cane sugar. To me, that's a pretty strange thing to do, because molasses and cane sugar come from the same place - sugarcane. You can either buy raw sugar to completely circumvent this process, or buy the two finished products (cane sugar and molasses) and add them together to make brown sugar. Brown sugar isn't something I have ever seen sold in bulk, it hardens in the pantry, and it's super easy to make your own, so why buy it?

  • Almond Milk - Since making my own soy milk, I have become wary of the commercial stuff. What do they do to it to make it taste completely unlike soybeans? One of the many additives is tons of sugar. Almond milk is easy to make and super healthy. All you need are a blender, cheesecloth, almonds and patience.

  • Homemade Applesauce - I just made this recipe with 12 pounds of Cortland apples and got 1 gallon. I would definitely not recommend making this sauce with Cortlands, even though mine came out delicious. I will go apple picking later this month and will get a variety better suited to sauce and try this again. Good sauce varieties include: Macoun, McIntosh, Rome, Crispin, Golden Delicious, Jersey Mac, Northern Spy and Newton Pippin.
Check out previous Recipe Roundups: One

No comments:

Post a Comment