Apple Sage Stuffed Squash
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp olive oil
1 apple (golden delicious or other tart apple), diced
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
generous pinch of dried sage
1/2 loaf of stale bread, cubed
2 cups vegetable broth
1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350 oF.
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil until translucent.
- Add apple, raisins and sage to the skillet. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the bread to soak up the savory oils and stir in pan to coat.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet. Simmer for 5 minutes until most of the broth is absorbed or cooked off.
- Rub the halved and seeded acorn squash with 2 tbsp olive oil, and pack the cavity with the stuffing.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake the squash 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender (can easily be pierced with a fork.)
- Serve with your favorite vegan gravy.