Monday, June 8, 2009

Cookies!

When I found out that Skittles were being made without gelatin, I was excited and bought about 4 packages. After going through one, however, I remembered how fake tasting they are, artificial and too sweet. Jeff and I still ate the rest of the packages, but I don't think I'm going to be going out and buying more Skittles.

Butterscotch Chip Cookies I feel the same way with the vegan butterscotch chips I got a Price Chopper last month. I bought two bags, and after eating a few handfuls with ice cream I realized how fake tasting they are. They're not awful, but certainly not as good as chocolate. That said, I had one more bag and wasn't going to let them go to waste. So I decided to try out this recipe for chocolate coconut chip cookies from Everyday TV.

I halved the amount of butter, skipped the coconut, and put in the butterscotch chips instead of the chocolate chips. And they came out pretty darn good! I was worried that I wouldn't have enough cookies left to take photos of them, and about four were eaten during the photo shoot. They came out a little crispier than I like (not crunchy, but not totally chewy) but that's probably because I made them small and kept them in the oven until they looked flat. I don't know much about the physics of baking cookies, but it seems to me that whenever I leave them in too long, they get crispy, and when I take them out just before that point they're still raw in the center.

Butterscotch Chip Cookies Here are the ingredients of those awful butterscotch chips:
  • sugar (at least this first one is good!)
  • partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil
  • natural and artificial flavors
  • sorbitan monostearate (emulsifier)
  • soy lecithin (emulsifier)
  • yellow 5 lake (read that wiki page, that stuff sounds awful! and it's being phased out in the UK)
  • yellow 6 lake (as if the yellow 5 wasn't bad enough, this stuff sounds worse)
  • blue 2 lake (I'm linking to this page so you can check out the complaint about stool staining, ha!)
  • salt
There needs to be a healthier, natural, alternative to this. (I have been exploring some recipes for butterscotch sauce, maybe I can experiment if I get some time with hardening it into chips or chunks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment