Friday, May 22, 2009

Baby Lettuce!

Lettuce The bucket full of lettuce seeds out on my fire escape has grown into a bucket full of baby lettuces! Jeff and I have been eating away at these since they were wee sprouts, and now they are actually big enough to make a somewhat substantial salad.

I'm excited that they're so big. My parents are visiting tonight, and I plan on making some mushroom risotto (easily veganizable recipe courtesy of Joy of Cooking, my favorite cookbook ever), seitan and a salad including our baby lettuce, and some tomatoes and pepper. Maybe the locally grown lettuce will almost offset the fact that our rice was imported from Thailand.... Or maybe not. But home grown lettuce is really easy to grow and certainly tastes better than anything purchased in a store!!

[More Photos]

No comments:

Post a Comment